Autumn | Spring | Summer | Natural wonders | Hiking & mountaineering | Merano & Environs
The nature trail in Val di Fosse/Pfossental
Walk, run, jump, and learn
There are plenty of things to discover about life on a mountain hut. Walk on the tracks of mountain farmers, learn how butter is produced, and much more.
The nature trail in Val di Fosse/Pfossental is a worthwhile destination, and not just if your starting point is one of the family hotels in Meran & Environs. During this easy hike of approximately three hours you and your children will learn many interesting facts about life on South Tyrolean mountains.
Along the trail, information boards explain the flora and fauna, geology, and the characteristics of alpine pastures. In the Vorderkas dairy, you will learn about the history of Val di Fosse/Pfossental and gain insights into the production of different types of cheese in the show dairy. The production of butter is the main topic in the Mitterkas dairy. An information board explains the old Waalweg paths.
- Starting point: Vorderkas in Val di Fosse/Pfossental
- Trail course: Vorderkas – Mitterkas – Rableid mountain hut – Eishof and back
- Trail length: 4.5km
- Duration: 3 hours
- Altitude difference: 378m
- Starting altitude/highest point: 1,693m / 2,071m
- Trail composition: forest trail
- Suitable for strollers: can be tackled with trekking prams
- Best season: from June to October
- Locations for refreshment: Vorderkas, Mitterkas, Rableid, and Eishof
Our tip: The nature trail is a worthwhile destination for hiking with children in South Tyrol, not only because of the superbly prepared information boards about the country and its people. The panoramic views of the lush green alpine pastures in front of the snow-covered mountain peaks will also inspire you.
Have a lot of fun at learning and wondering!
The Gamper Family from Familienalm Taser Alm